Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Study Subsidies for Australian PRs - More good news!

G'day everyone!

After I posted on Facebook about starting a second subsidised Certificate III course, I received quite a number of questions. I had also received a comment requesting more information on the course subsidies for TAFE courses from an anonymous reader.

For those who have just checked in, please read this post first.

I don't have a whole lot more to add, and you guys can Google the supporting information yourself. So let me make this quick:


  • Rules may vary from state-to-state. This applies to Victoria State, I'm not sure about how it works if you are elsewhere in Oz. Do share with us if you know!
  • You are allowed up to two Government-funded courses per calendar year.
  • You are allowed to get subsidy for a second Certificate III (or whatever) course as long as you have not completed the first one. E.g. I have just begun my second subsidised Cert III Course (in Warehouse Operations) while I am simultaneously doing my Automotive Cert III Course.
  • If you are "over-qualified", you may still receive funding for courses which are not pegged at a particular level, e.g a Forklift license. I 'wasted' a funding entitlement for 2014 on my Forklift license and it was really a rather small subsidy amount.
  • Technically I could have pursued a subsidised Cert II or even Cert I instead of my warehouse Cert III, as I have not completed my Automotive Cert III. Remember, I'm a Form 12 equivalent as my Journalism degree was never assessed.
  • Of course, you can collect them all. Just that you may have to pay your own money. Nothing to stop you from going back and doing lower-level certs if that suits your fancy. Some of them are pretty affordable. The full-priced Warehouse cert is only $1250, though I paid $25. It's $5 for those with a valid concession card!!!
Next year, I intend to pursue my Cert IV in Automotive and also in Warehousing/Logistics. I should enrol for the longer course first, then the shorter course. Obviously I could do it the other way round as well, just that I have to enrol for the second course before I complete the first course in order to qualify for the subsidy.

Mother of textbooks...


Remember, as long as it's an upgrade, you are good. And as long as you never had your qualifications officially assessed by an assessment authority, the only qualification you are deemed to have (for the purposes of qualifying for subsidies) would be your 'A' or 'O' Levels.

Like me, you may have higher qualifications listed during your PR application. DIAC knows about my Degree and that's fine, with my Uni degree certs and transcripts submitted during the PR application process. It will just not be officially recognised by Australian Government for the purposes of deciding whether to award me educational subsidies. That skills and qualification assessment is just for the PR grant for the primary applicant and it places a higher scrutiny on the primary applicant to decide whether he or she is qualified for Australian PR-ship.

Yes, the dichotomy is a bit confusing.

But don't worry if you are seeking employment as a secondary applicant (like me). Your Uni degree or diploma should still be recognised by the employer as long as it's reputable :)

- S

13 comments:

  1. Hi Bro

    I am very interested in how you found this low cost course. Can you share the link? I am also interested in taking up some additional learning in my free time - if so cheap, it's definitely a good idea to pursue.

    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      Just google 'TAFE courses Australia' and you will be able to see a list of the courses available. There's no link in particular cos it depends on which Cert III or Cert IV you want to take. There are tons of options. S just googled "TAFE Automotive Technology Cert III" for the his Automotive course. For the warehouse Cert IV course it was introduced after he took the forklift license (and at the same location) so he just went for it.

      Just note that you need to NOT be the primary PR holder in order to qualify for the subsidies. It doesn't mean you cannot already have an overseas qualification, it just means you cannot have completed a higher than Cert IV course in Oz or previously have your qual recognized in Oz. Otherwise you will need to pay full fee for any Cert courses.

      Cheers,
      A replying on behalf of S who is busy with his bike

      Delete
    2. Alamak... I wanted to try out a Cert in Accounting... but if I have already Oz degree. means cannot get discount, har?! Doh! Full fee is $1000++

      Delete
    3. I just did a search.
      For exampled: http://s3.amazonaws.com/pwafiles/Web+Uploads/2014+Estimated+Course+Tuition+Fees+-+Apprenticeships+and+Traineeships.pdf

      It shows the course fee.. but it does not show how we can get such a huge discount as S had received. How do we find out about that?

      Delete
  2. What is the current fee subsidy for bachelor degree course? Last time I understand is 75%, AUS PRs only pay 25%.

    What I also understand is if the children whom are AUS PR holders have converted to AUS citizens then it will be free for their parents but not the children themselves, they have to pay back their interest free uni study loan once they get their degree, start working and earning annual income more than A$45k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      No idea about bachelor degree nor anything to do with children cos it doesn't concern us at all... perhaps you should do more research or check with those who have kids?

      - A

      Delete
  3. Hi JackRabbit,

    If you already have an Oz degree - the question is, did you get assistance from HELP-FEE or HECS-FEE for your first degree? Or you were a full fee paying international student at that time?

    If you have used the government assistance HELP-FEE or HECS-FEE for your first degree, then you wont be able to get any assistance. I think you can give them a call to see if you are still eligible for assistance.To my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong), if you already have an Oz degree, they will only provide you with some assistance in HELP-FEE, if you are pursuing a higher certification (e.g. Master degree or Graduate Diploma ) apart from what you already have attained. HELP-FEE is a government low-interest loan which has to be repaid in due time. It is not a subsidised low course fee assistance. Unless you are an Australia Citizen or you are holding a PR visa under humanitarian status, you will not eligible for HELP-FEE assistance.

    IMHO if you are an Australia Citizen and is interested in Accounting, forget about Certificate III or IV. Go for a Graduate Diploma in Accounting, make the best of your chances and go for a higher certification. You will have a better chance of getting HELP-FEE assistance. But dont take my word for it, legislation might have changed, give the TAFE or University a call and find out from the course coordinator. They will be the best people to advise you.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chris

      Thanks very much for your info.

      Yes, my Oz degree was as an international so I did not get any subsidy from them.
      Good to know about the post-grad/masters courses. I shall further look into these.

      In the near future, I am actually very interested in undertaking some practical kind of short part-time courses - just to boost my skills and knowledge in areas that may be useful in life: eg. book-keeping, automotive repairs, etc.

      This makes me very interested in such courses, if for a low cost, I could learn how to handle the accounts for a small home-biz or repair my own car, haha!

      Delete
    2. JackRabbit,

      Glad to know the information is helpful.
      Learning is endless and lifelong. Part-time courses are always good sources to enrich our knowledge and lives in a new country.

      Cheers,
      Chris

      Delete
  4. To Chris,

    Unless I have mistaken, HECS-HELP Study Assist is a loan and it is only applicable to Australian citizen and Australian Humanitarian Permanent Resident for Bachelor and below courses. Postgraduate courses (e.g. PhD, Masters and Graduate Diploma) are not covered. This applies to every tertiary institution in Australia. However, PR (not Humanitarian, like most of us) can receive either discounted or subsidised rate for Bachelor courses , subjected to the university and the state government does not intervene.

    For TAFE certificate and diploma courses, it is state-subsidised, but the rate can vary in different states.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Blessed Singaporean,

    Perhaps the table found in this website might help explain better: http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/mytertiarystudyoptions/qualifications/pages/qualifications

    Unless its PhD course, some Master Degree or Graduate Diploma might be able to get HECS-HELP. You need to check with the course coordinator. That's just my understanding from the table provided. I will definitely check with the institution and the course coordinator to confirm if HECS-HELP is available for the course of interest.

    Where as FEE-HELP is definitely available for Graduate Diploma.

    Education funding legislation is undergoing changes, it can change anytime. Always check with the course coordinator to confirm.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi reference to your mention below earlier in the thread, may I know or would one know if being skill assessed during visa application is the same as degree qualification being recognised? Why are subsidies not applicable to PR holder?

    Appreciate more info as we just got the PR and would like to gain certs and license for builder professions.

    Thanks! Laura

    Just note that you need to NOT be the primary PR holder in order to qualify for the subsidies. It doesn't mean you cannot already have an overseas qualification, it just means you cannot have completed a higher than Cert IV course in Oz or previously have your qual recognized in Oz. Otherwise you will need to pay full fee for any Cert courses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,

      Yes. If your skills was assessed by any official Australian authorities or skills assessments authorities before and assessed as comparable to a an Australian Bachelor Degree, then you will not be eligible for government subsidies in any qualification at and below the Bachelor Degree. That's what I understand from the TAFE institutes' policies about govt subsidies.

      - A

      Delete