- The cost of rubbish disposal can be much steeper in Oz. Here, there are no enterprising elderly to scavenge your recyclables. If you have bulky refuse, you may have to pay to get rid of it. See here for a sample of the fees. We once paid $2 to dispose of a small bag of trash (usual price $5 per bag, but the kind lady at the transfer station gave us a discount) on a multi-day camping trip. Honestly we could have waited, but since we had already made the detour to dispose of it...
- Internet is much more expensive in Oz. We pay $60 a month for an ADSL connection which tops out at about 12mbps, and has 150gb data allowance per month (additional usage is not charged, but the speed will be throttled to 512kbps)
- Public transport is much more expensive in Melbourne, especially if you do short trips. About $3.50 within zone 1 (inner city) for the first two hours, but unlimited travel distance and trips. Maximum price is $7 per day within zone 1. Ignore the fact that the service is now overall more reliable than SG and that it's far less crowded. It is more expensive!
- Speeding fines. We've earned two in three months. Ouch! $180 for 10km/h above the limit.
- Car parts tend to be a bit more expensive. Sending your car to a mechanic other than the dealer could cost more too, unless you are talking about basic servicing, in which case I've seen internet deals from reputable providers for about $29 including oil and oil filter. However the dealers here don't seem to charge any more than those in SG, based on the few comparisons I have done. Many also offer capped price servicing as standard.
Tuesday, 4 March 2014
Five things more expensive in Australia than in SG
Cost of living in Australia has been a perennial topic amongst both our friends, families, and readers alike.
After I saw this BBC article about how SG is the world's most expensive city, I'd better caution those of you from there who may be thinking of visiting or migrating to Oz. Not everything is cheaper here!
Please think twice before you emigrate. As the saying goes, out of the frying pan, and into the fire!