Saturday, 8 February 2014

My letter to school


Hi ___!

I’ve been enjoying the Automotive Cert III course tremendously so far. ____ has been a fantastic teacher and he really knows his stuff well. He’s also very entertaining. No he did not ask me to say anything good about him! haha

Anyway I’m sending you this email because we’ve had prior correspondence before. Just want to say that while the pantry facilities are generally ok and I really appreciate the two microwave ovens there, they are probably overdue for a replacement.

The white one on the left hardly heats food, even at full power. To heat a good meal requires well over five minutes. Its shell has also cracked and I’m concerned about microwave leakage.

The one on the right is considerably more powerful, but it could use a comrade-in-food heating. Actually it could also use replacement as the turntable no longer works. Heating is thus quite a bit more uneven than it should be.

Both serve our needs now, but anecdotally (I don’t have official numbers or a petition!), we really could use new machines for the pantry. There’s also space for a toaster oven and demand for that, should there be the budget!

Since you have read this far, can I enquire about my eligibility for a subsidised Cert IV in Automotive, and the cost? Also what’s the schedule like? I’m considering my options whether to do a cert IV or just focus on working full time as a mechanic after I complete my course :)

Sincerely,
S
Menzies Automotive Student


That's me having fun pointing at a dismantled turbocharger. Yes I dismantled it... and broke it too.

11 comments:

  1. Do you mean a kitchen, dude? A pantry is where you store food... literally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually "pantry" is very commonly used (or misused, if you must) for a room at an office where you have a sink, hot water, microwave, etc.

      Where are you from? Maybe you guys use such words differently. If you are from SG, you wouldn't try to meet colleagues from the office in the "kitchen", because they'd give you weird looks...

      If you are from Oz, then I suppose I need to continue learning Aussie English. Just found out recently that "scone" is pronounced as "sconn". Not "scohne" as I've been used to hearing it.

      -S

      Delete
    2. Pantry is where food and/or utensils/crockeries are kept.

      In most SG offices, where there are usually no taps/kitchen sink, to call it a pantry and still have microwave, is probably a reasonable term for it. But not when there are washing facilities or other things like tables and chairs.


      First time I conducted a training in Sydney, I told everyone that lunch is served in the Pantry. Everyone gave me weird looks. Then my colleague asked me (aside) what is my definition - because they call it a lunch room (where you sit down at the tables, and actually eat there) or sometimes a kitchen because it has a sink, dishwasher and microwave and toasters....Nobody eats in a pantry.

      Delete
  2. Anyway the school has replied and they'll look into it. Seems like this guy never stops working!

    -S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi S,

    Glad you are enjoying your Auto Cert 3 and A is happy and finds the grass is greener here. I am happy for both of you. Hitting the bike trail tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bransom,

      Have not been riding off-road for about two weeks due to a combination of scorching weather and other commitments.

      So far have been to Buxton and Lysterfield.. Planning to go You Yangs some day, when it's cooler. :)

      -S

      Delete
    2. Hi S,

      You are really discovering Victoria, I have not been to any of them. Not sure if your friends or relos mention Hanging Rock, been there twice and my boys luv it! We hiked to the top, sat there and enjoyed the view. On your way home visit Mount Macedon. Definitely when it's cooler. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the tip, will check it out! :)

      After our off road misadventures we have been taking it easy. My thirst for outdoor adventures has been tempered tremendously for a while..

      I am planning to go with a group the next round for 4WD and to go mountain biking around Mt Bogong with a cycling group. But that's a few weeks away for me, and hopefully enough time for me to regrow a pair.

      -S

      Delete
  4. You survived OCS, you will survive anywhere! The pair is always with you, it just had a little shock....:). You'll be right.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many service providers for TAFE courses. How do you select a reliable one?

      Delete
  5. Hi Teacher.

    I don't have a process. I am into my second cert 3 course and I only signed up because I was already doing my Forklift license at that school.

    For my Automotive course, I looked based on location, and did a Google search to look for negative comments. There were no negative comments or positive comments for my various options. Only one who said they are largely the same.

    At the price I paid, I figured, what the heck... It's just a piece of paper at the end of the day. The outcome of the course is largely within my control.

    I've got a very good trainer so I would recommend Menzies for Automotive. But those who wish to muck around in class do so, and they probably take away very little from the course. Nevertheless, they don't control how much I can learn from it, and there are very good students there who have taught me stuff as well.

    How do you select a "reliable" (insert choice of car / primary, secondary school, polytechnic, JC, university, insurance company) etc etc?

    Sometimes the answer may not be that clear.

    -S

    ReplyDelete