Monday, 6 January 2014

LTA, Tuck Yew, what the tuck are you doing?

I just saw a post on Facebook from one of my ex-colleagues about the traffic jam just outside Changi Naval Base. Of course, it is a problem which will hardly ever concern me again (except if I get recalled from Melbourne for reservist, a distinct possibility until my Pink IC has been burnt  returned to ICA).

Some of us in the RSN found it ironic that despite one of our ex-chiefs of Navy now heading LTA, the traffic outside CNB remains as tucked up as ever! Every morning, a long line of tipper trucks will jam the entire stretch of Tanah Merah Coast Road. That 3-4km stretch typically takes half an hour to traverse, and that's if you come relatively early. It being a dual-carriageway, there's no opportunity for safe overtaking. Every time there's an accident, it's a total FUBAR.

I remember Navy Open House 2013. I was hoping that the public would be given the chance to really experience Navy life, starting with the morning jam. However, I was totally disappointed. It seems that for the public (and Ministerial level guests), arrangements could be made to sort out the traffic. Not at other times.

Evidently, the Navy was never a priority. As I liked to say, if Air Force has their slogan as "Above All", and Navy (formerly) "Nothing Comes Close", it's quite obvious where the RSN stands in the pecking order of the three SAF services... 

I can imagine if one fine day, something were to happen. There will be no other access route to Changi Naval Base. Good luck then!

Hopefully this won't happen during my reservist. Shuttle bus services were shit, and taxis are more expensive by the day.

So I beseech Tuck Yew: wake up your Tucking idea, and please do something for YOUR navy. Thank you.

-S

7 comments:

  1. I once posted about how susceptible we are to a possibility of a total traffic standstill during a hostile invasion and we will lose it without even putting up a fight. Needless to say, I got blasted by gungho Singaporean sons who took time to repeat the level of our prowess, stuff we were told in 'National Education' talks during you-know-when. Perhaps they believed the enemies are gentlemen and will really provide them a M+4 and stuff like that. These paper warriors are deluded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are living overseas long term, you will not be called back for reservist training. However, you need to apply/renew exit permit yearly and select the option "permanent resident overseas" as a reason for your absence from Singapore.

    S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon S,

      I understand that those with overseas employment can get a longer deferment. I only got one year which is a bit worrying as I don't want to visit Singapore that often.

      Of course, if it can be extended year on year, that will be reassuring.

      -S

      Delete
    2. Last time my bro in US did not have to come back to renew his exit permit.
      Exit permit is a history to me now, got my AU PR visa after "faithfully" completed all my ICT, I do not owe SG and PAP govt anything now, I was a free man since early 2011.
      Though I was a new AU PR in early 2012 but I was considered "old" AU PR at the same time due to my age, should have applied for it earlier but anyway be late than never.

      Delete
  3. Right, wonder how does our MINDEF General Staff goes about buying expensive ships / boats / submarines or even fighter jets...without considering how the NSF / reservist can be mobilised quickly..

    Buying an expensive "toy" like submarine..and the sailors (submariners) had to be got by the jam for 2 to 3 hrs...Wonder PEARL Habour incident will happen here..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I always considered it a matter of national security, keeping the roads reasonably clear, and allowing servicemen and women smooth access to military establishments.

      Evidently, the threat level is so low, that defence plays second fiddle to whatever shit project is going on in that area.

      But as a citizen, and a reservist officer, I guess I will not comment or speculate too much on this yet. :p

      -S

      Delete
  4. Bro I heard from someone in the jam today that he saw an LTC drive opposite lane too. Probably couldn't take the jam also. haha!

    ReplyDelete